Pages

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Exercise....

So exercise....... about time I got off my backside and did something...........

I set off from Park Street with no aim in mind and found myself wandering up onto the walls.
A beautiful, sunny day and the walls were quiet. It is a long time since I've walked the Micklegate to Red Tower section - I took a few photos on the way, some of which turned out ok.
Cupola on the Bar Convent

looking back at Micklegate Bar

I just love the roof-line of Scarcroft Primary School :)

a view of the Minster from beside Baile Hill

York Castle (well a little bit of it)

Catkins beside the River Foss

the top of Fishergate Postern
I would have taken a 'full' picture of the postern but forgot until I was too close!

Looking back towards Fishergate Bar

passing the Barbican - pity about the modern house roofs
(I prefer 'rooves' to 'roofs' but I will go with the supposedly correct form.)

Walmgate Bar - which houses Gatehouse Coffee

alongside Foss Islands Road

from the new Hungate footbridge looking towards the Minster.
The wasteland in-between will become more new apartments and town-houses.

River Foss from the new Hungate footbridge

All Saints, Pavement

Oliver's, Micklegate.
I would like to know what Oliver's was.

As you might notice from the pictures I didn't go all the way round the walls. I will set off in the other direction next time! Not sure why I omitted taking a picture of the Red Tower, I'll try to remember next time. 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your walk Charly. It has been years since I was in York, it was lovely to see it. Yes please do walk the other way taking photo's & post them.
    I miss English chimney's, just in case you take requests ;-)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look out some chimneys just for you :) rather easy from the city walls and the next section includes some of the older parts of York with very impressive chimneys!

    ReplyDelete