Pages

Friday 27 May 2016

Social media and words out of context

Continually, when using social media, I see short sentences from well known figures and corporations used in emotive ways that are then re-tweeted, liked, re-posted etc. I often do this too but I also like to think I am discerning, that I do stop to think and find out more before I re-post.

Here is one emotive example:



While I have no love of Nestle I do have a love of truth and that this guy's words are continually posted out of context rather narks me. He was actually talking about how water needs conserving for essential human use - for life. The paragraphs from which one sentence was taken out of context are below. He did not actually say the specific sentence that is shown in quotes above, he does in fact say "I am the first one to say water is a human right." what he is arguing is that we do not as humans have a right to exploit water in an irresponsible manner.

[...]
"The fact is they [activists] are talking first of all only about the smallest part of the water usage," he says. "I am the first one to say water is a human right. This human right is the five litres of water we need for our daily hydration and the 25 litres we need for minimum hygiene.
"This amount of water is the primary responsibility of every government to make available to every citizen of this world, but this amount of water accounts for 1.5% of the total water which is for all human usage.
"Where I have an issue is that the 98.5% of the water we are using, which is for everything else, is not a human right and because we treat it as one, we are using it in an irresponsible manner, although it is the most precious resource we have. Why? Because we don't want to give any value to this water. And we know very well that if something doesn't have a value, it's human behaviour that we use it in an irresponsible manner.
[...]
Full article is here


No comments:

Post a Comment