Pages

Friday 30 November 2012

Baked Arancini with Cherry Tomato Jam

From the ashes of last nights meal, tonight's arises like a phoenix..... well more like little orange balls but hey :)

Arancini are traditionally deep fried but I rarely deep fry if there is an alternative that seems suitable. I have kept the aracini simple and not given them a filling; they are balls of risotto chilled then rolled in rice flour, then egg and finally oatmeal. If you eat gluten then using flour and bread crumbs would be more 'normal'.

One of the reasons for not stuffing them with mozzarella or other filling is that the accompanying Cherry Tomato Jam is moreishly intense so I wanted to pair it with a less complex flavour. The other reason is that these are my first arancini and I'm keeping things simple!

We will have these with green beans cooked so they still have a bit of crunch - I hate overcooked vegetables  but am sometimes guilty as life rudely intrudes on cooking at times!

At present the arancini are at the chilling stage and the Cherry Tomato Jam (below) is finished and just needs reheating.


No comments:

Post a Comment